How to Find a Book Club and Red Rose’s Top 10 2023 Winter Books to Read
At Red Rose Tea we have a special place in our heart for enjoying a good book with a delicious cup of tea. Winter, our favorite cozy season, is filled with warm drinks, curling up by a fire, and putting on some cozy clothing.
As you spend time inside and away from the cold, it also is a great time to catch up on enjoyable books. Reading does not need to be an activity enjoyed alone either. Finding a book club can provide an opportunity for people to share their thoughts and opinions on a book with others who have read it. It can help meet new people and build connections and feel like a rewarding experience.
Here are some tips to starting and finding a good book club as well as our top 10 book picks this winter.
How do you find a good book club to join?
There are several ways you can find a good book club to join:
Feel comfortable to ask around. Talk to friends, family, or colleagues to see if they are aware of any book clubs in your area. You might be surprised to find that someone you know is already a member of a great book club.
There are also many online groups and forums where you can find book clubs in your area. Goodreads is a popular website that has a section specifically for book clubs, and there are also many Facebook groups and subreddit communities dedicated to book clubs.
Local libraries and bookstores often have book clubs that are open to the public. Contact your local library or bookstore to see if they have any book clubs that you can join.
If you can't find a book club that meets your needs or interests, consider starting your own book club. You can invite friends, family, or colleagues who are interested in reading and discussing books and use online platforms.
How to start an online book club?
Starting book clubs online can be a great way to connect with other readers, discuss books, and explore new literature. Here are some steps you can follow to start your own online book club:
- Determine the purpose and focus of your book club: Do you want to focus on a specific genre or type of literature, or do you want a more general book club that covers a variety of topics? Decide on the focus of your book club and make sure all members are interested in that focus.
- Invite members: Consider inviting friends, family, or colleagues who are interested in reading and discussing books. You could also use social media or online groups to find potential members.
- Choose a platform: There are several platforms that can be used for online book clubs, including video conferencing tools like Zoom, Skype, or Google Meet, or online discussion forums like Goodreads or Reddit. Choose a platform that is convenient for all members and allows for easy communication and discussion.
- Set a schedule: Determine how often you want to meet and discuss books. You might choose to meet weekly, biweekly, or monthly, depending on your group's preferences.
- Choose and assign books: Decide on a book selection process and make sure that all members have access to the chosen book. You might choose to take turns selecting a book, use a voting system, or assign a specific book for each meeting.
- Set ground rules: Establish some ground rules for your book club to ensure that discussions are respectful and productive. For example, you might ask that members come prepared to discuss the book, stay on topic, and avoid interrupting others.
- Start discussing: Once you have all the logistics in place, it's time to start discussing the book! Encourage open and honest discussion and try to engage all members in the conversation. Make sure to bring discussion questions to ask the reading group that you have been wanting to share.
By following these steps, you can start an online book club that is engaging, informative, and enjoyable for all members.
How to balance reading a book and your job?
It can be challenging to balance reading books with the demands of a job, but there are a few strategies you can try to make it more manageable:
- Make time for reading: Set aside a specific time each day or week to read. This could be during your commute, before bed, or during a lunch break. Consider turning off your phone or other distractions to make the most of this time.
- Use audiobooks: Audiobooks can be a great way to fit in more reading while you're on the go. You can listen to audiobooks while commuting, exercising, or doing other tasks that don't require your full attention.
- Book club reading: Joining a book club can help you stay motivated to read and provides an opportunity to discuss and review books with others.
- Set realistic goals: It's important to be realistic about how much time you can devote to reading each week. Set a goal that is achievable given your other commitments, and don't beat yourself up if you don't meet it every week.
- Find books that engage you: It's easier to make time for reading if you're enjoying the book. Look for books that spark your interest and keep you engaged. If you're not enjoying a book, it's okay to put it down and try something else.
By following these strategies, you should be able to balance your job with your love of reading. Remember, it's important to take care of yourself and make time for activities that bring you joy, including reading.
What impact do people feel reading books every day?
Reading books every day can have several positive impacts on people.
- Improved cognitive function: Reading has been shown to improve cognitive function and increase brain activity. It can help to improve memory, concentration, and critical thinking skills.
- Increased vocabulary and language skills: Reading exposes you to new words and ideas, which can help to improve your vocabulary and language skills.
- Enhanced empathy and understanding: Reading about characters and their experiences can help to improve empathy and understanding of others. It can also broaden your perspective and help you to better understand different cultures and viewpoints.
- Stress reduction: Reading can be a great way to relax and unwind after a busy day. It can help to reduce stress and promote feelings of calm and well-being.
- Improved sleep: Reading before bed can help you to wind down and relax, leading to improved sleep.
While reading every day can have many benefits, it's important to find a balance and not let it consume all your free time. Make sure to also make time for other activities and hobbies and take breaks when needed.
Does tea have a calming effect?
Tea has been associated with relaxation and a sense of calm. The act of brewing and enjoying a cup of tea can be a meditative and calming ritual in itself, and the warm beverage has a soothing effect on the body. Some types of tea, such as herbal teas, are known for their calming properties and are often used as natural remedies for anxiety. The amino acid L-theanine, which is found in tea, may also contribute to its calming effects. It is important to note, however, that the effects of tea on an individual may vary and that it is not a substitute for medical treatment.
Red Rose Tea’s Sweet Temptations are delicious herbal delight teas that are perfect for a sweet treat any time of the day, minus the calories. These teas burst with favor and are the perfect treat and guilt-free indulgence. They are perfect to enjoy with a good book or serving at your next book club event. Tea and books together are an excellent way to kick off the new year together.
2023’s List of Top 10 Books this Winter
Back in the summer, Red Rose Tea shared our Top 10 Books to Read on the Beach and we are back to share our next list to cozy up with indoors to escape the cold outside. We are excited to share a new reading list that includes book club books different Red Rose Staff member have each nominated to include for our tea drinkers to enjoy.
Book Club List:
Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid
“Carrie Soto is Back” is a story about a strong and determined tennis athlete who has broken ever record and retires with 20 Grand Slam titles. Six years after retirement, Carrie watches her records be taken from her by another player. Deciding to end her retirement to reclaim her records, the story follows Carrie retrain and show she has something to prove one epic final season.
The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen
"The Last Town on Earth" is a historical novel set in the town of Commonwealth, Washington, during the flu pandemic of 1918, and tells the story of the town's decision to quarantine itself to try to stop the spread of the disease.
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
"Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" tells the story of Eleanor Oliphant, a socially awkward and reclusive young woman who struggles to fit in and form meaningful connections with others. Despite her difficulties, Eleanor is a resilient and determined character who learns to overcome her past traumas and build a more fulfilling life for herself.
Long Bright River by Liz Moore
"Long Bright River" is about two estranged sisters, Mickey and Kacey, who grew up in a rough neighborhood in Philadelphia and have taken very different paths in life. Mickey is a police officer, while Kacey is a drug addict who has been missing for several months. As the novel unfolds, Mickey sets out to find her sister and confront the demons of their shared past, uncovering a web of secrets and corruption that threatens to consume them both.
The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab
"The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue" tells the story of Addie LaRue, a young woman who makes a deal with a god to live forever, but in exchange, she can never age or change and can never stay in one place for too long. Addie spends centuries traveling the world and searching for meaning, but she becomes lonely and isolated over time. The novel follows Addie's journey as she meets a young artist named Henry Daugherty and falls in love with him, and the two of them try to find a way to be together despite the terms of Addie's curse.
Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune
"Under the Whispering Door" is the second book in the "House of Hollow" series, and it follows the story of a group of young people who are drawn together by a mysterious force and must work together to uncover the secrets of their past and the true nature of their powers. The novel has been described as a dark and atmospheric fantasy that combines elements of horror, mystery, and romance.
The Maid by Nita Prose
“The Maid” is a Clue-like story that is focused on a murder mystery while also being a heartwarming journey of the spirit. The story follows Molly Gray, a maid, as she works on solving the mystery of the death of a Regency Grand Hotel guest before the police make her their prime suspect. As we follow Molly work on who murdered the prominent hotel guess, we learn that all mysteries can be solved through connect to the human heart.
The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
"The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" is a mystery thriller that follows the story of a man named Aiden Bishop, who is trapped in a time loop and forced to relive the same day repeatedly until he can solve the mystery of the death of Evelyn Hardcastle, the daughter of the wealthy and powerful Hardcastle family. As Aiden investigates, he discovers that Evelyn's death is tied to a series of dark secrets and deceptions that have been hidden for years within the Hardcastle estate.
Soldier X by Don L Wulffson
"Soldier X" is a historical fiction novel that tells the story of a young German soldier named Erik Brandt who is sent to fight in World War II, and the challenges and hardships he faces as he struggles to survive on the front lines and to come to terms with the atrocities of war. The novel is based on the true story of the author's father, who served as a soldier in World War II.
This Time Tomorrow by Emma Straub
"This Time Tomorrow is the story of two women, Lulu and Eleanor, who meet as teenagers in the summer of 1992 and become fast friends, sharing a love of music and a sense of adventure. As the years pass, their lives take different paths, and they lose touch, but they remain connected by their shared past and the memories of the summer that changed their lives forever.