Why is my tea cloudy?
There are lots of reasons why your tea may cloud up! Below are some reasons and ways to prevent clouding.
- The minerals in hard water can interact with tea polyphenols and cause cloudiness.
- Try brewing your tea with distilled water instead of tap water.
- Certain compounds in tea are soluble at high temperatures but precipitate out at cooler temperatures.
- Try cooling your tea down slowly instead of “shocking” the hot tea with ice or in the refrigerator. Let the tea cool to room temperature before cooling further.
- Teas from certain regions may naturally contain more solids that can cause clouding, especially in hard water conditions.
- Try using an iced tea-specific blend for a less cloudy tea. Here at Red Rose, we carefully select the teas that go into our Iced Tea blend for the best and cleanest iced tea experience.